What are Dynamic Lookup Tables?
Dynamic Lookup Tables are used to represent hierarchies of data. For example, if you needed users to select from a very large list, say the university/school they went to -- the list can be upto 4000 items long. In such cases, Dynamic Lookup Tables can be used to segment the data and allow users for example to choose the state and then showing them a list of all universities in that state.
This can apply to any kind of hierarchical data -- Product Category, Product etc.
How do I use the Dynamic Lookup Table tool?
- Login » Surveys » (Select Survey) » Edit Survey » Add/Edit Questions
- Click on the Add Question button
- From under Advanced Question Types, select the Data / Reference option.
- Select the Dynamic Lookup Table option
- Enter in the Question text and answer options. Enter in the answer option text for the primary drop down menu and separate the options for the secondary drop down menu using comma as below:
Dynamic Lookup Table type question cannot be edited due to technical limitations. If you want to make changes to the question, you will need to delete the question and add a new Dynamic Lookup Table type question with reqired changes. Please note that if you delete a question all data collected for that question will also be deleted.
On the survey the question will be displayed as follows. Respondents can select an option from the first drop menu and based on the option selected then next drop menu will be displayed.
On the survey the primary drop down select menu will have the options: West and Mountain West.
Once you select an option for the primary drop down list, the secondary drop down select list with corresponding options will be displayed.
I have a large list I am using in the Dynamic Lookup question and do not want to have to retype this every time I need to make delete and re-add this question back into my survey. What can I do to make this easier to change?
A best practice when using Dynamic Lookup Table in a survey is to have your question and answer list saved in a word or text document that you can open up and make changes to. Then you can delete the old question and easily replace it with the new Dynamic Lookup question.
License & Access Options
This feature/tools described here are available with the following license(s) :
- Corporate Edition - Buy Now - $99/Month
- Unlimited Surveys, Questions, Responses
- Advanced Toolset and Features
- No Long Term Commitment