We are currently recruiting for the Fall 2023 training program. Training will occur on the following dates:
-Sunday, October 1st, 3pm-5pm AST
-Sunday, October 15th, 3pm-5pm AST
-Sunday, October 22nd, 3pm-5pm AST
-Sunday, October 29th, 3pm-5pm AST
-Sunday, November 5th, 3pm-5pm AST
Peer Mentors with Eating Disorders Nova Scotia play an essential role in supporting folks working on recovery. Our Peer Mentors bring their expertise working on their own recovery, managing relapses, and living their lives free from the confines of an eating disorder.
Mentors complete a 30-hour training program comprised of both on-demand and virtual components. Upon completion, mentors receive training certification. Trained mentors have support through a Monthly Mentor Meet Up, Community of Practice, and ongoing support. Each mentor decides their level of involvement, which can range from 2 hours a month and up.
Honorarium is provided for your time and expenses related to a one-on-one meetup.
We are looking for people:
- 18 years of age or older
- Able to commit to being involved for two years
- Personal experience working through the recovery process; minimum of 2 years eating disorder free
- Strong sense of ethics, sound judgement, and compassion
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong sense of self-awareness, and comfortable sharing experiences in a supportive manner
- Knowledge of, and capacity to apply appropriate boundaries
- Knowledge and practice of effective self-care
- Flexible and reliable
To ensure our Mentors reflect the community we serve, are especially interested in hearing from folks over 35, those with experience with binge eating, men, and those from BIPOC communities.