What is Show/Hide Question Logic?
Show/Hide question logic allows you the ability to show or hide questions based on criteria you define. This is useful when your logic doesn’t require to be triggered immediately. It is an alternative to compound/delayed branching.
- You must have a page break between the source logic question(s) and the question you want to show or hide. The system should be able to collect the data and then make a logic decision (to show/or hide) for a particular question.
- You cannot add a page break to a question on which you have set up Show/Hide logic.
- Show/Hide Logic will work on the last question on a page, but be aware that due to the page break preceding the question to be shown or hidden, the respondents may see a blank page instead of a page with a question on it.
How can I set up the show/hide question logic?
Consider the following scenario.
You have three questions – Questions A, B, and C, and you only want to show Question B if the answer to Question A is, “Yes.”
To set this up, follow the steps listed below.
- Click on Login » Surveys (Select Survey) » Edit Survey
- Add all of the questions in the survey.
- Add a page break after the question that the logic is based on (in this case, Question A). The important thing to be noted is that there is a page break somewhere between the question the logic is based on and the question that you want to show or hide based on the logic.
- Hover over the question you want to show/hide. This will bring up the fly-out menu on the right side of the screen.
- Click Logic.
- Select Show/Hide Question Logic.
- Next to the answer option you want to show or hide, select Define Criteria.
- If you already have criteria created that you want to use for this, select the criteria from the available drop-down (note: this drop-down will only appear if there are criteria available).
- If no criteria has been created that you want to use for the logic, click Create New and enter in a criteria name.
- Select Criteria Type.
- Responses to the survey – Use to base your logic on how respondents answer certain questions in the survey.
- Custom / System Variables – Use to base your logic on custom / system variables passed or updated on the survey.
- Select the question on which you wish to base logic in the If: drop-down.
- Select the logic operator (equals, greater than equals, less than equals, greater than, lesser than, or not equal to) and answer option(s). To select more than one answer option, either Shift+click, or CTRL+click.
- You can add up to 5 additional criteria.
- Click Save & Use This Criteria.
- Select the Display Mode for the question.
- Show Question if Criteria Matches will hide the question by default.
- Hide Question if Criteria Matches will show the question by default.
- Click Save Logic.
License & Access Options
The feature/tools described here are available with the following license(s) and higher:
- Corporate Edition – Buy Now – $75/Month
- Unlimited Surveys, Questions, Responses
- Advanced Toolset and Features
- No Long Term Commitment