What is an email address survey question?
An email address question is an open-ended textbox used to capture email addresses. This question has an in-built text validation
system to validate the text input.
You can use validation on a question to force respondents or request them to consider answering a question before leaving the page. You can apply validation on the below text questions to ensure they accept answers in a specific format.
- Single row text
- Multiple row text
- Email address
- Numeric data
Example of an email address question in a survey
Consider a health insurance company that processes claims by asking customers to fill up an online form. The company can use survey software to create forms and embed a link in the email.
The survey creator can apply validation on an email address field to ensure the bots and automated software agents do not exploit the system. If the text entered by the respondent does not match the standard format of an email address, the survey software will display a validation message.
Email address survey question settings
- Textbox display: You can choose whether the textbox should be displayed below the question label or next to it.
Explore more on this option using our help file on the textbox display.
- Question width: Select the percentage width of the question label from the dropdown list. The question text will occupy the percentage space of the total screen width.
- Required: Toggling this option on will make the question mandatory to answer. It is similar to switching on the validation with the 'Force Response' option.
- Text input size settings: Select the percentage width of the answer textbox from the dropdown list. The textbox will occupy the percentage space of the total screen width. For multiple-row text questions, you can also set the height percentage.
Explore more on this option using our help file on the text input size settings.
- Add prefix/suffix to textbox: You can add prefix or suffix to an open-ended textbox question type.
Explore more on this option using our help file on adding prefix/suffix to a textbox.
- Data pre-population: Display data into your text boxes by fetching data from a custom variable.
Explore more on this option using our help file on the data prep-population in the textbox.
Uses of validation for an email address textbox in the surveys
- Send gift cards: Many organizations offer rewards to survey respondents
for completing the survey. They can use the email address to send gift cards or request more information.
- Customer feedback surveys: A valid email address can be used to learn more about the customers' experiences. Businesses can work on the customers' feedback and connect with the customers to close the loop.
Advantages of validating an email address question
- Collect contact information: Email address question type can be used to contact respondents if organizations need to ask more questions.
- Ensure valid email addresses: Validation on email addresses can help ensure that the system is not exploited. It also confirms that the data collected is genuine and accurate.
How to use an email address question in your surveys?
Learn how to set up and use this feature using our help file on the email address question.