What is trend analysis?
Trend analysis gives you the ability to take a look at data over time for a long-running survey. It can be useful for comparing quiz or test scores (see an increase in knowledge over the course if you administer the same survey multiple times over the matter of a few weeks or months) or identifying trends from data sets for a regularly distributed satisfaction survey.
This module allows you to plot aggregated response data over time. It is especially valuable if you are conducting a long-running survey and would like to measure differences in perception and responses over time or prepare for trend reversals in the market.
Such analysis can be precious as an early warning indicator of potential problems and issues with product line and service level changes that impact customers.
Example of trend analysis based on survey data
The graph below explains trend analysis over a period for channel sales per country. Channels are based on four categories: Coupon, display ads, SEM, SEO. This graph is an example of a sales pattern that is analyzed on a month on month basis. The table shows the calculation of the mean to show the prediction of the trend for the coming months. The table is based on the sales figure for the last four months.
Trend analysis in survey example:
Trend analysis in research
With the trend analysis report, you can compare historical data and get answers to questions like:
- Has your NPS score improved over time?
- Has the customer experience changed as compared to the last quarter?
- Do employees engage more now? Is there an increase in employee retention?
- Are sales expected to grow this year?
Trend analysis helps to display a summary of long term data. Use it to investigate variability at different time points and capture how the customers and markets respond over time. Use trend analysis to identify the best time for demand in the market and also identify low-demand phases to take actions accordingly.
QuestionPro lets you filter results based on the below data filters:
- Data set filter: You can choose to view the report on the entire data set or a group of responses that meet custom criteria.
- Survey completion status: Filter results based on the surveys started, completed or terminated.
- Date: Set the start and end dates to compare data in a specific time frame.
- Frequency: Select if you want the reports to be exported daily, weekly, monthly or quarterly.
- Output data: Choose whether you want to view the data items in percentages or detailed statistics in the trend analysis report of the survey results.
You can view trends in research data in below chart formats:
- Area spline chart
- Spline chart
- Area chart
- Line chart
- Area stacked chart
- Area spline stacked chart
Uses of trend analysis in surveys
Researchers and businesses run a trend analysis report in most cases for the following:
- To understand consumer behavior: Based on historical data, it helps companies understand what the consumers need and what gets outrightly rejected. It helps them make timely changes in the products and then push it out in the market. For instance, it helps identify and target customers and make informed decisions in a bear market situation.
- To identify a shift in consumer realization: Consumer perception concerning the product or service can be quite volatile. Short term planning won't lead you too far. Customer satisfaction levels can change due to even minor changes in the business style or product. Trend analysis involves the technical analysis of consumer needs and how they perceive a product or a service.
- To understand the cost drivers: Businesses need to study the financial aspects of their business like the stock price and cost drivers affecting their products or services over time periods. They need to innovate and come up with the best possible products at a lower price than their competitors. Analyzing the trend over a period of time helps identify these drivers. Trend analysis is a handy tool to gauge the profit for an investor.
Advantages of analyzing trends in survey data
Here are the business benefits of running a trend analysis:
- Strategy building: Trend analysis helps in predicting new business entrants, and allows the company to develop strategies to uphold their industrial position.
- Business expansion: It facilitates businesses and organizations to make strategic decisions to expand their business.
- Change-analysis indicator: It is instrumental as an indicator to identify the underperforming areas of the business.
- Business feedback: It helps in identifying the areas in which the business is performing well and duplicate the strategies for business expansion.
How to use trend analysis in surveys?
Explore our help file on trend analysis of survey data to learn how to use this survey feature.