What is an Email Survey?
Email survey is defined as the process of using a survey in an email invitation and sending that to potential respondents to collect their feedback on the research topic with the use of the survey . Emailing the survey is one of the most efficient methods of data collection since the respondent in most cases is aware of the sender.
This feature saves time, is cost-efficient and is easy to administer and hence is one of the preferred survey distribution methods.
Types of Email Survey Creation
Surveys can be shared via email in two ways. They are:
Email Inline Surveys
The email inline survey is a simple but effective way of administering a survey. In this method, the respondent can take a survey from within the email as the survey is embedded in the survey. This method doesn’t permit long-form surveys and is typically under 5 questions. The common question types used in an email inline survey are close-ended questions like demographic questions, Net Promoter Score (NPS) questions etc.
Email Redirect Surveys
The other method of using emails for surveys is where the respondent can click on a link in the email and be redirected to the survey page. This method is more effective when the survey is a lot longer with also a lot of open-ended questions as well as close-ended questions and the survey consists of multiple question types including advanced question types.
Tips for Effective Email Survey Creation: Good Email Survey
Now that we have looked at the two different types of email surveys, we will enlist some tips for effective email survey creation to getting a good survey response rate. Some of the things to keep in mind are:
- CAN-SPAM Compliance: The email survey should contain important identifying information such as a valid “From” and a “Reply-To” email address, valid phone number and postal address and other identifying information. The other aspects that need to be taken care off are a valid subject line and no misleading information in the body of the email along with an option to opt-out. All of these parameters are important to maintain CAN-SPAM Compliance while sending out an email survey.
- Keep the Email, Short & Relevant: The email should right at the outset, mention the objective of the survey, the time it will take to complete, if the survey will be anonymous and if not, how will the data be used along. Also, if the email is very long, the respondent will lose their way and lose interest. It is very important to thank the respondent and tell them that you value their input and their time.
- Show Value: No one does anything for free and is the same with a survey respondent. Unless he/she sees value in the study, he will not take the survey or dropout in the middle and this increases the survey dropout rate.
How can I set up the Survey Invitation Email?
Survey invitations can be accessed under:
- Login » Surveys » Send » Templates
Survey invitations are survey-specific. Please make sure you have selected the correct survey. The active survey name is always displayed in the top right corner.
- Default template: For each survey, a default template is provided.
- Create New Survey Invitation: For each survey, you can create up to 10 templates.
How can I edit the Survey Invitation?
Click on the Template name to edit the survey invitation.
You can edit the following:
- Subject:Subject for the email / survey invitation.
- Message:Text for the invitation. You can use HTML in your invitation text. You can also insert images or attach files using HTML.
- Insert Survey Link: Select from either the tracked respondent link (will appear as <SURVEY_LINK> or the anonymous respondent link (will appear as <ANONYMOUS_SURVEY_LINK>. This is also where you can update the Survey Link Text that will be displayed when a respondent sees the email.
- Insert Variables: Select from buttons associated with the custom variables First Name, Last Name, or custom variables 1-5.
How can I send a survey via email using the email invitation?
Once you have made adjustments to the survey invitation email, simply finish the following steps to send the invitation.
- Click on send.
- Enter recipient email addresses (one per line), select from an existing email list, or create a new email list.
- Click Send to send the survey email invitation to the desired recipients.