What is a Survey Maker?
Survey maker definition:
A survey maker is a digital tool that helps to automate all the tasks related to the creation, designing, distribution, and analysis of a survey. It is used to create surveys by utilizing numerous features and options embedded in it. A digital survey that can be accessed online on any device makes survey respondents happy to participate. A survey maker reduces the time required to take the survey. Additionally, it also brings ease and flexibility in the entire process of creating, distributing, and analyzing a survey.
For example, a multinational company was interested to conduct a culture assessment within the organization spanning across multiple demographics. They decided to conduct a secure, digital, and internal online survey of their employees. However, before proceeding with the survey they assured all employees that individual responses will be kept confidential. To proceed with their plan, they analyzed different survey makers available in the market and finally settled for one meeting their expectations. Using the selected SaaS survey platform, they created a beautiful, interactive, and thought-provoking survey. The survey maker tool helped them to reach every employee for feedback, maintain secrecy, transparency and eventually garnered expected results.
Survey maker tools existed for long:
Free Survey makers did not come into existence suddenly out of the blue. Nevertheless, they were available from long ago. The real evolution of the survey technology started after the boom in the e-commerce industry.
Today, businesses are aware of the hidden potential in collecting feedback. They are conducting surveys to find specific answers to some of the important questions.
Why organizations need a survey maker?
Organizations want to understand behavior, needs, opinions, and want to get suggestions from their customers. They are also interested to gauge the attitude and reaction of customers towards their product. About nine out of ten organizations are interested to measure customer satisfaction and customer experinece.
Above all, organizations today want to conduct surveys as a primary source of information to unravel opportunities in product development and improvement.
Furthermore, the survey can be used to measure ideas and opinions related to community issues based on initiatives. For example, a business is interested to know how many people are using their product, what they think of it, what new they expect in the product, and whether customers are satisfied with the product or not.
There might be several reasons for which an organization wants to conduct the survey, they for sure know that their objective is irrelevant if they are not using a survey maker tool. Hence, many organizations want to understand the capabilities and functionalities of different tools so even they can opt for a suitable survey maker and conduct individual surveys. However, it is a jungle out there, all sorts of vendors exist in the market, which makes it hard to gauge which tool is good and which one will rip them off.
To help you find the best survey maker tool here are some features that must be present in it.
Features of a good survey maker
Modern survey maker tools are open to change. Yet, the intuitive easy to use interface empowers anyone, including the citizen developers to create a professional survey within minutes. Plenty of features made available in a survey maker makes it possible to create an interactive, productive, and personalized survey. But few features that are expected to be present in a good survey maker are mentioned here
1. It should be a futuristic survey builder:
A good survey maker will have a drag-and-drop interface for designing a questionnaire, morphing questions, and preview. By default, it has to be a no-code platform so that it can be used even by novices with equal ease. Usually, a survey maker creates just a front-end look and flow of the survey, but what you need is the liberty to make the survey behave in the same manner you wanted. It is possible if the survey maker offers a pre-requisite set of conditions and logic along with a variety of question types.
2. It must provide conditioning questions:
The survey maker must be flexible enough to set conditions on both, questions and answers. These conditions might be either a tool for formatting style, randomizing question sequence, generating multiple choices, Show/hide questions, embedding multimedia for interactive sessions, etc. Apart from that, it should provide a versatile question library to save commonly used questions and surveys.
3. Must have conditioning answers:
Answer conditions like piping, looping, show/hide questions, randomization, scoring, etc. are must-have capabilities in a powerful survey maker. The ability to present answers with conditional triggers for personalizing surveys is an added benefit of a quality survey maker. A good online survey platform always comes with a custom scripting option so that creating engaging and fully customized behavior of the survey won’t be a problem.
4. Surveys are incomplete without scoring logic:
Irrelevant to provided question or answer conditions, almost all the elite survey makers offer an illustrative scoring algorithm either as a rule-based or as a default. After automating scoring and tallying functions, the overall process of getting responses and deriving insights becomes speedier and easier.
5. Templates that make sense:
Offering a variety of survey templates to kickstart a survey is a common practice amongst online vendors. Your job is to ensure these templates come with a nice mixture of standard questions. The questions that encompass dichotomous or bipolar questions along with multi-select, single select, rating scale type, and net promoter questions. In a bid to be versatile and stay competitive in the market, do analyze a few survey vendors offering forms and poll templates as well.
6. Ability to fine-tune questions and the flow:
A great survey has logical behavior, sensible flow, interactive design, and intelligently phrased questions. Prefer a vendor that offers support and training to design, create and fine-tune questions as well as the flow of the survey. Additionally, there should be enough help files available using which even a non-coder can create a great survey. A few survey software vendors are offering such service as a chargeable feature. It is worth the investment.
7. Flexibility to integrate multimedia:
For obvious reasons, embedding images, audio, and video clips in a survey has become a common trend. Therefore, an elegant survey maker must offer enough flexibility to upload and add images, videos, and audio clips. What you need to check is the limit of each file size that can be uploaded and the total server space allocated to the user to upload and save multimedia files.
8. Effective distribution management:
The survey distribution can be done in many ways. A good survey if not all, must provide a few commonly used survey distribution methods. Like, allowing specific responses by applying quota logic, setting a survey to active/inactive state, leading the respondent to a landing page. In addition to that, triggering and managing the response of a respondent is vital for a qualitative survey maker. With effective distribution management, you get the advantage of tracking respondents, making iterations, and gathering feedback in real-time.
9. Versatility in survey analytics:
The majority of vendors offer versatile survey analytic options under varied plans. Some might offer standard analytics under a normal plan, and advanced analytics, like cross-tabulation, filtering, weighting, and other types of statistical analysis under a premium plan. You need to understand what analytic features are offered under what plan and accordingly select the plan to derive maximum benefits.
10. The possibility of branding and customizing:
A quality survey maker tool understands the importance of branding a survey. Therefore, it offers great ease in customizing themes, and design. Learn and understand the ease provided by different tools to upload the logo, adjust background colors, redesign headers and footers so the survey looks appealing yet professional.
11. Multilingual support makes a difference:
People tend to participate and respond to surveys available in their native language. Therefore, the survey maker has to comply with the demands and provide multilingual support so that surveys can be conducted on a global scale. A spell checker, auto-detect or an opt-in feature increases the authenticity and reliability of the tool.
Advantages of using a Free Survey Maker
There are ample advantages of using a survey maker, most of which depend upon the features offered by the platform. However, here is a list of few advantages that every surveyor opting for an automated survey maker software might experience.
- Added ease in creating surveys: A pro survey maker has an inbuilt predictive analysis feature that demonstrates the possibility of how a particular survey will flare in the future. Apart from that, many pro tools give survey designers access to the best industry practices and templates providing insight into the best possible ways of asking questions.
- Empowering citizen developers: Due to a low-code platform, even non-coders can build surveys like a pro. The added ease in using and applying different metrics empower these citizen developers to find out the relevance between audience and survey questionnaire. Additionally, they can run a historical result for the survey.
- Minimum investment, maximum result: An online survey saves a lot on labor and other material costs. A manual survey, on the other hand, requires a lot of human efforts, and working hours to print, distribute, and collect data. A comprehensive survey maker is more beneficial for larger organizations and enterprises for conducting repetitive consumer, workplace, and employee surveys.
- Flexibility: As the questions can be saved in the library and brand-specific templates are created, it takes away major hurdles in creating and distributing the surveys. Additionally, the ability to optimize and embed the survey helps in enhancing its reach.
- Cloud-based data gathering: A SaaS survey maker makes data collection seamless as it stores all the collected data in one central repository. The entire process is highly agile, ensuring real-time data upload and minimal risk of data loss.
- Readymade audience: The beauty of an elegant survey maker lies in the availability of audiences that can be categorized on different parameters such as demographics, language, age group, profession, etc. With a ready-made pool of audience, any surveyor can kick start his/her campaign in a matter of minutes.
- In-built analytics: Having enhanced the reach of the survey and having all the data stored in one single repository, it becomes easier to derive the insights using the conveniently embedded analytic solutions. It interprets data in varied ways including figures, shapes, graphs, tables, etc. Moreover, some tools offer real-time analytics for providing realistic feedback insights, thereby enhancing the organizational capacity of making insightful decisions.
The future of online survey maker
The user, as well as the respondent behavior, is changing with the evolving technology. First, it used to be paper surveys, then telephonic interviews became common, a few years back web-based surveys became a new norm. As of now, people are happy to access and respond to surveys that are easily made available on the mobile app. We don’t know what next is coming, but there are few trends that every survey maker promises to embed in their platform
Making surveys democratic:
Increasing mobile penetration leads to the emergence of numerous offline mobile survey tools allowing freelancers and enterprises to conduct their surveys. However, due to the proliferation of such surveys, the quality of the survey project started diminishing. Several irrelevant surveys started popping up on respondent’s mobile screens. It forced them to suffer from survey fatigue making it impossible to get accurate feedback. The majority of survey software vendors are spearheading the use of advanced technology to deal with survey fatigue and focus more on quality and not on the quantity of the survey.
Respondents are a crucial part of a survey project and each respondent has a different preference. Some like to take mobile surveys using their smartphones, some like it on the desktop, and some prefer to answer questions over a phone call. To cater to these varied preferences, the survey maker has started integrating features that allow a respondent to select the response medium of their choice.
The increasing domination of AI over all the spheres of technology and human life has compelled survey maker vendors to take notice of this emerging trend. Machine learning is now tested to formulate a questionnaire by adapting to a specific set of choices. Using AI in a survey platform will allow designers to make vibrant choices in questions, target more respondents and analyze the data in real-time.