What is 360 Degree Feedback?
360 Degree Feedback is a process in which employees receive a feedback from their peers, manager or direct reporting authority. The nature of this feedback is confidential. It is a progressive method adopted by many organizations to identify the strengths and the weaknesses of employee and suggest corrective measures, so that employee performance is improved.
How does 360 Degree Feedback Work?
It’s an anonymous feedback method, where manager, peers, direct reporting authority fill out an online feedback form that covers a variety of question types. These questions are based on a wide range of workplace proficiency. But this is not all. Employee receiving the feedback also fills out the same feedback form to analyze his/her strengths and weaknesses.
360 degree feedback is an amazing addition to the performance management system and provides employees with constructive feedback and gives them a chance to work on improving their abilities through training and other relevant means.
Learn more: Employee Feedback Survey Questions
Difference between 360 Degree Feedback and Traditional Feedback
1. Well-rounded approach: Most of the traditional review methods involve the individual employees getting a feedback from their direct reporting authority or manager. 360 degree feedback involves feedback from other additional sources like peers, managers and direct reporting authority.
2. Futuristic approach: While some debate, on the role of 360 degree feedback, there are others who say traditional review system is backward looking. On the contrary, 360 degree feedback has a more futuristic approach, where employees can identify their strengths and weaknesses and work on the developmental steps that can help them perform better in their workplace.
3. It’s is a subtle mechanism: 360 degree feedback is a subtle feedback mechanism where the strengths and weaknesses are identified rather than what did the employee do right or wrong or how he/she behave in a certain situation. It gives a broader perspective to the organization to identify the areas of improvement for their employees.
Learn more: FREE Leadership Assessment
Advantages of 360 Degree Feedback
1. Helps increase self-awareness: This feedback tool helps increase self-awareness within the employees. Since it’s an anonymous feedback process, an honest feedback regarding the behavior of an employee is usually registered. Employees can go through the feedback and mark their areas of improvement.
2. Reduces blind spots: As the name suggests 360 degree feedback is an overall feedback method that helps analyze the strengths and weaknesses thus reducing blind spots and increasing the efficiency of an employee. This feedback is a good way of exploring hidden strengths as it’s not single directional and helps the employee identify their hidden talent.
3. Helps build confidence: This feedback mechanism helps build confidence and increase the morale not only of the employees but also of the leaders. Leaders start to feel better about the organization and the people they are working with and vice versa. This effectively improves the decision-making capacity of the leaders as the feedback is usually given in a constructive manner.
4. Creates a better workplace culture: This feedback helps create transparency in an organization. Although the process is anonymous, the feedback is given directly to the employee by the manager and peers and vice versa. This helps reduce animosity towards each other and facilitates better workplace culture.
5. Fosters a culture of equality at work: According to a study, only 46% employees in the U.S feel they have a voice at work. 360 degree feedback is bound to change this stats. Through this feedback, employees have the equal advantage of giving a feedback to their leaders, managers or peers. In this manner, the employees have equal say in the evaluation and this promotes a culture of equality in the workplace.
6. It reduces turnover: Many organizations face the heat of severe employee turnover. This damages their market reputation as not many people want to be employed at a place where there is less job security. This feedback system gives chances to employees to identify their weakness and work on it, thereby reducing the efforts to fire the employee.
7. It’s a continuous improvement process: The best attribute of this feedback is the continuity of the process. It’s not a one time process, where a feedback is given and forgotten. Many organizations encourage this process and there is no fixed time to conduct feedback or assessment, unlike the traditional ways. Therefore, a continuous cycle helps both, employees and their leaders to improve themselves during their tenure of employment.
360 Degree Feedback Questions
360 Degree Feedback Questions based on Self Awareness
- Does the employee keep calm even in high-pressure situations?
- Does the employee use ethical ways of getting his/her work done?
- Does the employee exhibit professionalism at workplace?
- Does the employee take constructive feedback in a positive manner and make efforts to take corrective measures?
360 Degree Feedback Questions about Employee being Result Oriented
- Does the employee primarily focus on customer needs?
- Does the employee come across as a problem solver?
- Is the employee a “naysayer”?
360 Degree Feedback Questions based on Teamwork
- When this employee works with coworkers, is he/she polite while communicating?
- Have you experienced any problem with him/her in recent times?
- How would you recommend that the employee improves his interpersonal skills?
- Is the employee open to constructive feedback?
- Is the employee willing to share resources assigned to him/her?
360 Degree Feedback based on Motivation
- Does the employee appear to be motivated by the tasks at work?
- How does the employee demonstrate that he is motivated and committed to the success of the organization?
- Have you experienced any difficulties while handling the motivation level of the employee?
360 Degree Feedback based on Leadership
- Does the employee inspire his/her co-workers to learn and grow professionally?
- Does the employee have the ability to resolve conflicts within the team?
- Does the employee take initiative to solve problems?
- Does the employee demonstrate motivational skills and helps others succeed in day-to-day tasks at work?
360 degree feedback is a tool that covers most aspects of behavioral competencies of an employee or their manager or management. It is a system that promotes transparency in the system of feedbacks and reduces animosity thereby making it extremely popular amongst organizations.