What is 360 Degree Feedback?
360 Degree Feedback is a process in which employees receive a feedback from their peers, manager or direct reporting authority. The nature of this feedback is confidential. It is a progressive method adopted by many organizations to identify the strengths and the weaknesses of the employee and suggest corrective measures, so that employee performance is improved.
Learn more: FREE 360 Degree Feedback Survey Template
360 Degree Feedback Questions
360 Degree Feedback Questions based on Self Awareness
- Does the employee keep calm even in high-pressure situations?
Self-awareness amongst the employee is the need of the hour. These are an important set of questions to have in your survey. Pressure situations are common in the workplace, but how one handles the situation is important. Response to this question will determine the abilities of an employee to deal with pressure.
- Does the employee use ethical ways of getting his/her work done?
Work ethics should be followed at all time to achieve desired results. By answering this survey question an organization can collect responses to know if standard work practices are being followed or not.
- Does the employee exhibit professionalism at the workplace?
Being professional at a workplace is an unsaid rule. This is an attitude that helps employees perform better, stick to their goals and achieve more. The response to this question determines the attitude of an employee to his/her workplace.
- Does the employee take constructive feedback in a positive manner and make efforts to take corrective measures?
Feedback is a part of any organization’s culture, but what the employees do with the feedback is important. By collecting responses to this question one can know if feedbacks are taken in its spirits and acted upon.
360 Degree Feedback Questions about Employee being Result Oriented
- Does the employee primarily focus on customer needs?
In a customer-centric organization, it is important that the employees pay a great deal of attention to how employees are interacting with the customers. If customers needs are not addressed it will lead to high rates of customer churn. This is an important question that determines the willingness of employees to work around customers.
- Does the employee come across as a problem solver?
It is important for organizations to know if their employee is a “problem solver” or a “naysayer”. An employee taking initiatives to solve issues is someone who takes their part of the job seriously. An organization needs a number of similar employees.
- Is the employee a “naysayer”?
Use this question as a follow-up question to the previous one. Negative attitude of an employee can cost organization their most loyal customer thus affecting the Net Promoter Score. If an employee is a naysayer, there is an attitude issue that needs to be addressed.
360 Degree Feedback Questions based on Teamwork
- When this employee works with coworkers, is he/she polite while communicating?
Effective communication is a key to employee success. Being polite while communicating with team-mates increases chances of them being more receptive to the points put across. This is an important question to be asked in 360-degree feedback survey to get a first-hand information regarding the same.
- Have you experienced any problem with him/her in recent times?
When people with different traits team up there is going to be differences in opinion, let’s face this. However, it is important that the team comes to a common ground when making decisions for the organization. If there are issues amongst team members, then it should be addressed immediately.
- How would you recommend that the employee improves his interpersonal skills?
Interpersonal skills are the skills that help an individual communicate effectively with others. When it comes to working in a team, it is important for employees to be able to work in harmony within a team. If there is a need for an employee to work on his/her interpersonal skills then training should be arranged for it.
- Is the employee open to constructive feedback?
Being open to feedback is a positive trait, feedback helps employees improve the way they work and help them achieve their targets effectively. This is an important question you need to ask in your 360 review/feedback.
- Is the employee willing to share resources assigned to him/her?
Resources may be limited within an organization. But here is where effective teamwork plays an important role, if an employee is not willing to share resources that are assigned to him/her, this can affect the progress of an organization. Therefore, ask this question in your survey to get the right information.
360 Degree Feedback based on Motivation
- Does the employee appear to be motivated by the tasks at work?
An employee who is not motivated at work is a waste of resources. Employee motivation is one of the biggest issues organizations are facing across the globe. There is a difference between a happy employee and a motivated employee. Asking this question will give you the exact answer.
- How does the employee demonstrate that he is motivated and committed to the success of the organization?
Action speak louder than words. Is an employee showing positive signs at work, is he/she motivated enough to show up to work? These signs demonstrate if an employee is committed enough to work in the organization or not.
- Have you experienced any difficulties while handling the motivation level of the employee?
This question should be asked as a follow up question to analyze if there are any difficulties a manager or a supervisor is facing while handling the levels of motivation exhibited by an employee.
360 Degree Feedback based on Leadership
- Does the employee inspire his/her co-workers to learn and grow professionally?
These set of questions will help an organization analyze the leadership skills of an employee, this question will help understand the behavioral analysis of an employee and know the leadership qualities.
- Does the employee have the ability to resolve conflicts within the team?
Conflict resolution is important at workplace, if an employee is able to exhibit this quality he/she is likely to be a good leader in the future.
- Does the employee take initiative to solve problems?
A leader is a person who would take initiative even when he/she is not asked to. At workplace is the employee showing signs of solving problems and work related issues? If the answer to this questions is yes, then surely you have a leader in making.
- Does the employee demonstrate motivational skills and helps others succeed in day-to-day tasks at work?
In the words of Dale Carnegie, “if you are able to inspire one more person apart from you, you are a winner”. Inspiration and motivation works wonders, it takes one to inspire one. By asking this question in your survey, you will be able to know if you have a employees with leadership qualities or not.
- Does the employee provide a conducive environment for other employees at the workplace?
A good leader will know the importance of working in harmony and peace within the organization. A person who manifests these qualities is to be considered a good leader.
How does 360 Degree Feedback Work?
It’s an anonymous feedback method, where a manager, peers, direct reporting authority fill out an online feedback form that covers a variety of question types. These questions are based on a wide range of workplace proficiency. But this is not all. The employee receiving the feedback also fills out the same feedback form to analyze his/her strengths and weaknesses.
360-degree feedback is an amazing addition to the performance management system and provides employees with constructive feedback and gives them a chance to work on improving their abilities through training and other relevant means.
Learn more: Employee Feedback Survey Questions
What is the Purpose of a 360 Degree Feedback?
1. A common question that most companies ask is, “What is the ultimate goal or purpose of conducting a 360-degree feedback?” Can this also be used for a performance review? Well to put it simply, are your managers expected to conduct a performance review? Is it an official review? Or does the organization want an overall rating, from multiple raters?
2. 360-degree feedback allows an organization to incorporate a multi-pointer rating system for their employees. As known, this feedback system allows supervisors, peers, subordinates etc. to leave a feedback for an employee, this feedback is also used as a benchmark for an employee’s development plan.
3. In an organization, teamwork is important and in a similar atmosphere, 360-degree feedback surveys can prove to be extremely effective. It lets the employee know his areas of strengths and weaknesses. On receiving the feedback an employee can work on eliminating his/her weaknesses.
4. However, in 360 feedback it is important that the feedback remains anonymous. The purpose of this is clear, this shouldn’t lead to differences between the employee and their peers or supervisors. This system is for the improvement of the employees not to create rifts between them.
Difference between 360 Degree Feedback and Traditional Feedback
1. Well-rounded approach: Most of the traditional review methods involve the individual employees getting a feedback from their direct reporting authority or manager. 360 degree feedback involves feedback from other additional sources like peers, managers and direct reporting authority.
2. Futuristic approach: While some debate, on the role of 360 degree feedback, there are others who say traditional review system is backward looking. On the contrary, 360 degree feedback has a more futuristic approach, where employees can identify their strengths and weaknesses and work on the developmental steps that can help them perform better in their workplace.
3. It’s is a subtle mechanism: 360 degree feedback is a subtle feedback mechanism where the strengths and weaknesses are identified rather than what did the employee do right or wrong or how he/she behave in a certain situation. It gives a broader perspective to the organization to identify the areas of improvement for their employees.
Learn more: FREE Leadership Assessment
Advantages of 360 Degree Feedback
1. Helps increase self-awareness: This feedback tool helps increase self-awareness within the employees. Since it’s an anonymous feedback process, an honest feedback regarding the behavior of an employee is usually registered. Employees can go through the feedback and mark their areas of improvement.
2. Reduces blind spots: As the name suggests 360 degree feedback is an overall feedback method that helps analyze the strengths and weaknesses thus reducing blind spots and increasing the efficiency of an employee. This feedback is a good way of exploring hidden strengths as it’s not single directional and helps the employee identify their hidden talent.
3. Helps build confidence: This feedback mechanism helps build confidence and increase the morale not only of the employees but also of the leaders. Leaders start to feel better about the organization and the people they are working with and vice versa. This effectively improves the decision-making capacity of the leaders as the feedback is usually given in a constructive manner.
4. Creates a better workplace culture: This feedback helps create transparency in an organization. Although the process is anonymous, the feedback is given directly to the employee by the manager and peers and vice versa. This helps reduce animosity towards each other and facilitates better workplace culture.
5. Fosters a culture of equality at work: According to a study, only 46% employees in the U.S feel they have a voice at work. 360 degree feedback is bound to change this stats. Through this feedback, employees have the equal advantage of giving a feedback to their leaders, managers or peers. In this manner, the employees have equal say in the evaluation and this promotes a culture of equality in the workplace.
6. It reduces turnover: Many organizations face the heat of severe employee turnover. This damages their market reputation as not many people want to be employed at a place where there is less job security. This feedback system gives chances to employees to identify their weakness and work on it, thereby reducing the efforts to fire the employee.
7. It’s a continuous improvement process: The best attribute of this feedback is the continuity of the process. It’s not a one time process, where a feedback is given and forgotten. Many organizations encourage this process and there is no fixed time to conduct feedback or assessment, unlike the traditional ways. Therefore, a continuous cycle helps both, employees and their leaders to improve themselves during their tenure of employment.
360 degree feedback is a tool that covers most aspects of behavioral competencies of an employee or their manager or management. It is a system that promotes transparency in the system of feedbacks and reduces animosity thereby making it extremely popular amongst organizations.