What is block randomizer?
To understand the block randomizer you have to know what a survey block is. A survey block is a group of questions within the survey. Survey blocks simplify the way questions are ordered and presented to survey takers. They enable the survey creator to display a set of questions randomly.
The block randomizer helps to present the survey blocks in random order when a respondent reaches a specified section of the survey. This is useful when you need to randomly show a question from a group of questions or randomly show different sections of a survey to gather a variety of responses.
This help file will show you how to add, merge, and split blocks, as well as how to randomize questions within a block, and reorder blocks within the survey.
Setting up survey blocks
Without any survey questions, you will see the survey template blocks where you can add or merge them together.
Create a survey block:
- Create a new survey. A survey block will be created automatically in the new survey. All questions will be added to this default block.
- To create a new block, click on ‘Add Block’.
Preview a survey block:
- Click on the three dots to the right of the survey block. Click on ‘Preview.’
- With this option, you can preview all questions in a specific block.
Reorder a survey block:
- To reorder blocks within the survey, click on the three dots and select ‘Reorder.’
- Drag and drop blocks in preferred order and click on ‘Reorder Blocks’.
Display questions randomly in a survey using a block
Delete a survey block
- Select the block, access the block settings and click on ‘Delete’.
Split a survey block into two:
You can split one block of survey questions in two.
- To split the block, click on ‘Split Block at the bottom of the question from where you want to create a new block. It will divide the existing block into two blocks.
Splitting a block will reset the question randomization within the block.
Merge two or more survey blocks
- Merging two survey blocks will combine all the questions in those blocks.
Merging two blocks will reset the question randomization within both the blocks.
Rename a survey block
- Click on the block’s name and edit it. To expand and collapse survey blocks, click on the top-left icon.
- Go to your survey. Click on ‘Tools’.
- Click on ‘Block Randomizer’ from the drop-down menu.
- Click on ‘Add Randomizer’ to add a section for the randomizer.
- Drag and drop the blocks in the section and select the number of blocks you want to randomly display to the respondents.
- Click on save.
The order decided under block randomizer will be the default order of your survey.
Reset block randomizer:
To reset the survey block randomizer, delete the randomizers added for that survey.
- Go to the survey and click on the Tools button.
- Click on ‘Block Randomizer’.
- Click on ‘Delete ‘ on the top-right position of the randomizer.
Can I see which blocks were displayed and in which order for each respondent?
Yes. All randomization data is saved for each respondent and can be downloaded in excel/csv format.
Go to: My Surveys(Select Survey) » Analytics » Manage Data » Export
Here, switch on the toggle for Include Randomization Data
In the exported file, block order data and question order data will be included.