Branching or skip logic on a question
Branching or skip logic gives you the ability to create “intelligent” surveys, meaning respondents can answer relevant questions based on their answers to screening questions. Skip Logic interrupts the default survey flow and redirects the respondent to another location which can be another question in your survey, another survey, thank you page, or terminate survey.
Check out our logic training video here
How do I add branching or skip logic on a question?
Before adding any logic, you should set up the entire survey with all of the questions. This will make it easier to check that the logic is correct when testing the survey.
- Go to: Login » Surveys (select a survey) » Edit.
- Select the question you wish to apply logic and click on logic.
- On the popup, skip logic will be selected by default.
- For each answer option, you can set the If selected, Jump to question logic.
- If you wish, you can update Piping Text and also assign it to a Custom Variable. Piping text can be used on the following questions. Assigning the piping text to a variable will allow you to use it throughout the rest of the survey and also with reporting. Click here to know more details about piping text.
- Setting up Default Branching is optional. Default Branching logic will be executed in case none of the branching options are selected.
- Click Save Logic button to complete the set up.
When logic is added for a question, a page break is automatically inserted. This page break is necessary for branching to function properly and cannot be removed.
What are the different jump to options?
For each answer option, respondents can be directed or skipped to the following Jump To options:
- Survey Questions: You can select from any of the questions that are after the source question.
- Terminate Survey: Select this option if you wish to terminate the survey response. Respondents will be directed to the terminate survey page and the response will be marked as a Terminated response.
- Thank You page: Select this option if you wish to direct respondents to the Thank You page. Response will be marked as a completed response.
- Chain Survey: Select this option to take respondents to a different survey.